Wednesday, July 31

A little on signs from Rob Brezney



Astrologer Rob Brezsney posted the below on his Facebook today, he and Tarnas echo my feelings on the topic of reading signs.


"In his book "Cosmos and Psyche," Richard Tarnas says the planets don't emit invisible forces that shape our destinies as if we were puppets. Rather, they are symbols of the unfolding evolutionary pattern. Just as clocks tell time but don't create it, the heavenly bodies show us the big picture but don't cause it. 

Quoting Greek philosopher Plotinus, Tarnas writes, "The stars are like letters that inscribe themselves at every moment in the sky. Everything in the world is full of signs. All events are coordinated. All things depend on each other. Everything breathes together." So it's not just the distant globes whose movements and relationships serve as divinatory clues. If you're sufficiently attuned to the gestalt of creation and pay close enough attention to its unfolding details, you can read the current mood of the universe in the arrangement of red onions in the grocery store bin or the fluttering of sunlight and shadow on the mimosa tree or the scatter of soap suds in your sink after you've finished washing the dishes. 

Can you do it? Discern the signature of creation at this or any other perfect moment? Peer into the secret heart of the collective unconscious? Guess what the Goddess is thinking? Hint: You will have to switch on a dormant capacity, transforming your imagination from a mere fantasy-generator into an organ of perception."



Although Matthew and I made many serendipitous and interesting connections during the trip, I didn't broach the subject of signs directly on many occasions. Its not something that comes up in the first few conversations one has with a new acquaintance! However, I read many signs of our own making, ranging from those which are new to me (birds flying), spontaneous (the presence of a puppy in a tarot reader's room) or my tried and true favorites (gusts of wind upon arriving at a place, direct manifestations of previously stated desires, coincidences). Its still such a new thing for me though, that sometimes I forget to pay attention to them, and I'm a ways off from being able to call upon them rather than just hope they happen.


Traveling definitely provides an accelerated stream of critical decisions, so I had a lot more opportunity to test theories with omens than I would in 'normal' life. There are a two main questions, but essentially the format is the following:


- the timing that make the sign relevant to the action in question


- what the sign consists of and how it guides optimal action


I have found that signs tend not to be 'good' or 'bad' but they say 'yes' or 'no' to an action. For example, a small boy presenting me with a puppy named Doggy when I entered the Tarot reader's shop was a sign (to me, perhaps not to anyone else :) that I should indeed speak with the reader and have a reading done. It turned out to be a rather dark reading, so although the sign was friendly and the said 'yes', the outcome was more of an important lesson than some great success. In other words, if I had been able to see the future, I might have said no to the reading, which would have meant I missed out on some useful, yet difficult, information.


I suppose the important part to clarify is that reading omens is essentially asking the universe for its opinion on your plans. The opinions of the universe can be totally unrelated to one's own opinion of the outcome of the action - but at least we can rest assured that it will be the most useful possible outcome according to a neutral third party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!dime algo!